For keeping a control on diabetes, there is a medication named as Metformin that can be used along with other diabetes medications, a proper diet program and exercise regimen. Not just diabetes, it also helps in the treatment of high blood sugar that usually takes place due to type 2 diabetes. This medication also helps in restoring the body’s response to the insulin that occurs naturally. The level of sugar that gets produces in the liver and further absorbed by the stomach or intestines also gets decreased.
In the year 2014, a case study was initiated in which a few diabetic patients were asked to start the medication on metformin 850 mg twice in a day. At the same time, the other group of people received a placebo intervention. The changes that were asked to be made in their lifestyle are a low-fat, low-calorie diet, and 15 minutes of exercise on daily basis. People who made changes in lifestyle observed 27% reduction in diabetes in comparison to metformin group who observed only 18% reduction in diabetes. This shows that medication along with lifestyle changes can make a big difference and proved to be the best in comparison to only medication.
What You Can Do
There are a few things that are given below that should be done:
• Lose weight
• At least exercise for 60 minutes’ daily
• Minimise your intake of carbohydrates. Get to know how to manage type 2 diabetes with top Dietician Sheela Seharawat with Diet Clinic.
• Personalised your diabetes diet to include low-glycaemic carbohydrates
• Do not smoke and use of tobacco in any form
• If you want to control your diabtes, either minimise your alcohol consumption or quit it completely
Stick to the diet plan given by the top Dietician Sheela Seharawat of Diet Clinic.